Toad in the Hole…Yorkshire Pudding with Sausage
An easy and delicious English recipe!
Makes 4 individual servings.
4 custard cups or large muffin tins
4 Tbsp oil
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
1 pinch of salt
4 thick sausages (preferably pork, but any thick savory sausage will do)
1. Precook the sausages, cut in quarters and set aside on paper towel.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the eggs and some of the milk. Mix to make a smooth paste.
3. Gradually whisk in the remainder of the milk and mix again to a smooth batter. Allow batter to stand for 15-20 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 450 F. Place 1 Tbsp of oil in each cup and put cups on a cookie sheet. When oven reaches correct temperature, put cups in until oil starts to smoke and then take out of oven. (Watch carefully as this will happen rather quickly!)
5. Reduce oven to 400 F.
6. Place 2-4 sausage pieces in each cup. Remix the batter and quickly fill cups halfway.
7. Return to oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until batter is puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately because the puffs will deflate as they cool.
Tip: For a spicier version of Toad in the Hole, try this recipe from Emerils.com. There are many recipes, so if you don’t like these look around on your search engine of choice.
You’re invited to click Teapots ‘n More and browse our latest selection of teapots, tea accessories, teacups, tea miniatures and elegant tea sets.