This is one of our favorite tea sandwiches for spring and summer. We’ve also got a yummy Egg Salad with Ham variation at the end of this recipe. We hope you enjoy it!
Egg Salad Pinwheels
1 large loaf of Bakery Bread, sliced horizontally
3 cups of egg salad**
24-30 small green olives, drained
Softened butter or margarine
1. Discard top and bottom slices of bread loaf. Slice crusts off of each remaining horizontal slice to form a long rectangle.
2. Slightly flatten each slice with a rolling pin. Lightly butter one side of bread slice.
3. Spread a thin layer of egg salad over buttered side of bread. (Spread egg salad almost to edges.)
4. Lay a row of olives across one short end of bread slice. Roll bread over olives and continue to roll to end of slice. (Like a jelly roll.)
5. Wrap roll snugly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. (This will help the roll hold it’s shape.) Continue with remaining bread slices.
6. Remove plastic and slice rolls into 1/2 inch thick sandwiches, 6-8 slices per roll. Makes 24-32 sandwiches depending on how many slices of bread you have and how thick you cut the sandwiches.
**Classic Egg Salad Recipe
(Makes 3-4 cups)
1 dozen eggs, hard boiled and shelled
4-5 teaspoons of sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup of finely chopped celery
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
Approximately 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1-2 tablespoons mustard
1. Grate eggs into a bowl. Add relish, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Mix well.
2. Add mayonnaise 1-2 large tablespoons at a time until moist and creamy.
3. Add mustard to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Egg Salad with Ham Recipe Variation
(makes 3-4 cups)
Pinwheels aren’t just for classic egg salad, try adding finely diced ham for a delightful Egg Salad with Ham Pinwheel. Follow directions above and substitute 1 cup of finely diced ham for sweet pickle relish, Dijon mustard for regular mustard and 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion for regular onion.
Are you planning a tea party? You’re invited to visit Teapots ‘n More and browse our latest selection of bone china teapots, tea accessories, tea cups, tea miniatures and english bone china tea sets.