Party Decorating on the Cheap
Need a cheap, versatile decorating idea? Two words: Paper Doilies!
We had an epiphany shopping at the local Walmart, which judging from the information already on the internet was late in coming! We needed doilies for store use and purchased a 24 pack of round paper doilies in three size (12″, 8″ & 6″) by Wilton for $2.00. Such a deal! That’s when we realized the awesome, cheap decorating power of the paper doily.
Think about it. Need to decorate a cake? Paper doilies and powdered sugar. Decorate a table? Paper doilies. Place cards? Doilies. Invitations? Doilies!
So, with a doily in hand for inspiration, here is a list of basic ideas as a springboard for your imagination and some links to ideas from other creative people. Please share your great ideas as well. If you’ve got a Walmart nearby, go for the Wilton Cakes display. I’ll bet you find paper doilies…the decorating wonder!
If you can’t find paper doilies, here are some online resources: from Create For Less – 32 Assorted Round White Doilies for $1.94, from Kids Crafts Plus – 96 Assorted Round White Doilies for $7.45, from Sur La Table – 48 Assorted Square White Doilies for $9.95. We also noticed some good deals on Ebay and Etsy searching under Paper Doilies.
Paper Doily Ideas:
1. Decorate a cake with doilies. Lay a doily or doilies in a pattern on top of a dark cake such as chocolate, gingerbread or even brownies. Sift with powdered sugar and carefully lift doilies. For the prettiest look, be sure to use a doily that does not have a solid circle of paper in the middle.
2. Use large doilies as place mats under table settings. This is most effective on a colored tablecloth.
3. Dress up serving plates/trays with doilies or set off a special dessert with a doily.
4. Arrange different sized doilies on a colored tablecloth and cover with sheer fabric or tulle netting.
5. Take the same idea as above but make a doily table runner.
6. Use a doily as an invitation.
7. Dress up a paper napkin by folding it inside a doily. My thought here is to fold a square napkin in half lengthwise and fold a round doily in half. Then place the now rectangular napkin in the now half-round doily and give it all a good crease.
8. Use 4″ round doilies as place cards at each table setting.
9. Decorate small favor boxes with small doilies.
10. Make a luminary table decoration with white paper bags, candles, sand, paper doilies, glue and scissors. While your bag is still folded up, scallop the top edges with a scissor. Glue doilies on the inside of your bags making sure to glue all edges to the bag. When dry, add 1-2 inches of sand and votive candles or battery operated votive candles. Remember the safety of your guests: never leave a burning candle unattended.
11. Make a Paper Lace Garland – a charming idea from Project Wedding!
You’re invited to Teapots ‘n More for a look at our newest English Bone China Tea Sets, Teapots, Tea Accessories and much more!