Savory Cream Puff Bites (or Crab)
They’re not just for dessert!
30 – 40 Mini Cream Puffs**
2-3 cups of Tuna Salad** or your favorite Crab Salad (no recipe provided) or Curry Chicken Salad
1. Slice tops of cream puffs almost all the way through. Lift top and fill each with 1-2 teaspoons of salad.
Note: Keep cream puffs and tuna salad separate until shortly before serving. This keeps cream puffs from becoming soggy.
** See recipe below.
Cream Puffs (aka Pate a Choux Pastry)
(Makes 30-40 mini puffs)
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add water and bring to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir vigorously.
2. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn’t separate. (It will pull away from the side.)
3. Remove from heat and cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until smooth and glossy, 1-2 minutes. (The batter gets more glossy with each egg you add. Just make sure egg is completely beat into the flour mixture. Even if your arm gets tired, don’t rush this step. Beating the eggs is what makes the cream puffs rise so don’t try to beat them in all at once.)
4. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls (about the size of a quarter) onto a greased baking sheet, approximately 1 inch apart. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Puffs will be golden brown, dry and sound hollow when tapped. Store in an airtight container for 2 days until ready to use or freeze up to 2 weeks. Here’s another good Cream Puff recipe.
(Makes 3-4 cups)
3 cans of tuna, drained (6 ounce)
3-4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
Mayonnaise to moisten (1/2 -1 cup)
1. Mix together drained tuna, lemon juice, relish, onion and celery.
2. Add mayonnaise one large tablespoon at a time until tuna is moist and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
You’re invited to click Teapots ‘n More to browse a large selection of teapots, tea accessories, teacups, tea miniatures and elegant tea sets.