Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce
Old fashioned favorite…delicious served warm!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening such as Crisco
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses, not blackstrap which is too strong
1/2 cup boiling water
1. Grease and lightly flour an 8″ x 8″ x 2″ square baking pan. Sift together the first 6 ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat shortening on medium speed with an electric mixer for about 1 minute.
2. Add brown sugar to shortening and beat 1-2 minutes til fluffy. Add egg and molasses; beat 1 minute. Add dry ingredients and boiling water alternately to sugar mixture, beating after each addition.
3. Turn batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in middle of oven in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until cake is done. (Tip: If baking in a glass pan, reduce the temperature by 25 degrees.) Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and serve warm or cold with lemon sauce**, apple sauce, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
** See Lemon Sauce recipe below.
Makes 2 cups.
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups water
4 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. grated lemon rind, optional
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan (1-2 quart size) and stir constantly over medium-low heat.
2. After sauce thickens, approximately 5 minutes, remove from heat and stir in remaining 4 ingredients. Spoon over individual servings of gingerbread and serve.
You’re invited to visit Teapots ‘n More to browse a large selection of teapots, tea accessories, teacups, tea miniatures, teas and more.