Makes 48 tea sandwiches.
3 cups chicken broth
2 whole boneless chicken breasts with skin, halved (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup minced shallot
1/4 cup minced apple (optional)
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh tarragon leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
24 thin slices of bread
1/2 cup finely chopped smoked almonds (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup softened butter
1. In a deep 10″ covered skillet, bring broth to a boil and add chicken breasts in one layer. Reduce heat and poach chicken at a bare simmer, turning once. Approximately 7 minutes.
2. Remove skillet from heat and cool chicken, covered, in cooking liquid 20 minutes. Discard skin and shred chicken fine.
3. In a bowl, stir together chicken, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, shallot, tarragon & apple. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Thinly butter all slices of bread. Spread 12 slices with the chicken mixture and top with remaining 12 bread slices, butter down. Press gently together. (At this point you can wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the next day if desired.)
5. Trim crusts and cut each sandwich in half and then half again, making either squares or triangles.
6. Put chopped, smoked almonds on a small plate. Spread one or all edges of each sandwich with remaining mayonnaise and roll edges in almonds.
You’re invited to click Teapots ‘n More and browse our newest selection of teapots, tea accessories, teacups, tea miniatures and elegant tea sets.